Monday, July 9, 2012

Video Games in the Classroom

Okay everyone...you are going to have to convince me.  I read the Gee article...but am TOTALLY not convinced that I want to ever use video games in the classroom.

First of all, let me start off by saying that video games completely turn me off.  I do not see the point and I think that they are a problem among teenage boys.  Boys are spending so much time playing video games, instead of being face-to-face social or joining sports teams or clubs, etc.  I just feel that if we brought video games into the classroom, it would be non-stop video games 24/7 for some of our teenage boys.

And for girls, I don't have a huge interest in them.  And I don't know many girls who have a huge interest in them, either.  I have been known to play a little Mario Kart here and there, but I don't own a game console, and never have.  I just don't see the point.  I feel like you're frying your brain when you're playing video games.  I think we might have a really hard time engaging our girls.  I suppose you could have two activities...one video game, and one of something else so that students can choose which one they want to do? 

On page 5, Gee talks about how video games are, "a new form of learning and thinking."  I agree with him on that... but, I have never had the patience to sit and put 50-100 hours towards one task (Gee, 5).  I think that simulation games require your brain to work in ways that you have probably never used it before.  You are using real-life skills in a digital world.  I find that this may be difficult for some students and could cause a lot of frustration for everyone.  I also realize that this is Gee's introduction...but he doesn't say much about HOW to integrate video games into your classroom.  I guess I would have to read the rest of the book to find out. 

I'm totally lost...and can't see myself using video games in my classroom.  Hopefully our discussion tomorrow might change my mind.

How would you all use them in your classroom?

1 comment: