Thursday, July 5, 2012

Re/Mediating Classrooms

Recently, I read an intriguing article on "re/mediating" classrooms.  The piece, by Donna E. Alvermann of the University of Georgia, is titled "Seeing Themselves as Capable and Engaged Readers: Adolescents and Re/Mediated Instruction." Since it had obvious connections to our class, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the article. If you're looking for validated research to rationalize your inclusion of film and other media resources in your lessons, this article would be useful.

Alvermann's study focuses on using "re/mediation" to reduce aliteracy, which she defines as "the capacity to read but electing not to do so." Aliteracy, according to the author, is caused by a perceived lack of relevance in school-related (or other) reading. Three key pedagogical targets are highlighted that are central to addressing this problem: (1) building self-efficacy, (2) establishing real-word relevancy, and (3) incorporating re/mediated instruction (a pun on remediation). Re/mediation is explained as "refashioning curricular and instructional conditions so that they include multiple forms of media," including music, film, and digital media. She supplies several examples of of successful implementation of this technique in classrooms with high percentages of academically disengaged students. I was amazed to see the transformative impact this simple change had on struggling students. We assume that these students just don't want to learn, but this just isn't the case. The reality is that they aren't receptive to lessons because they don't see personal relevance or practical application in them. Like it or not, our hyper-individualistic society has conditioned students to immediately dismiss things they don't consider "important." As teachers, we have to proactively respond to this unfortunate reality. Using a popular song or a high-interest film--even a video game--to explain a concept can have a tremendous positive impact on student engagement.

As I read this article, I realized that I don't use this type of technique often enough. I tend to use this kind of activity as something different, a break from the norm of traditional instruction. I really need to start thinking of it as an everyday strategy.

If you're interested in reading the article, follow the link at the end of the post.  It's definitely worth a few minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Such an apropos article! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've been thinking about how I could implement unique, yet relevant material into my future classroom such as film, music, and video games, I keep stumbling upon one question: "To what extent should I use these materials?"

    Should I use these non-traditional forms of "texts" sparingly and in the most crucial times, or should I try to use at least one form of digital media for each print-based text I teach? I understand that teachers must make a lot of these choices based on their students' unique needs, but I'm wondering if the benefits of using film/music/video games/etc. eventually diminish or reverse once you reach a certain level of exposure. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I'd like to think that as long as teachers utilize these forms of media appropriately, their students' literacy skills will always improve no matter how much they use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thanks for the article Matt.
      Robert, I have been asking myself the same questions this sememster. I also have reservations about being the new teacher on the block and introducing new concepts of media, film and oh-my video games in the classroom. I can just imagine the perception when they hear how much fun the students are having playing video games in Mrs. Carey's classroom. Sure we can invite them into our classroom's and demonstrate our knowledge at a faculty meeting, but how do we pry the less technologically savvy individuals out of their Teachers Editions? There are many exceptios to that I am sure, but we are on the front end of new teaching that is both exciting and scary at the same time.

      I have a question open to anyone who would has teaching experience. Do you think that implementations of media in the curriculum is better received in urban school districts than it is in suburban districts? Or better than that schools that don't meet AYP verses those that do? Perhaps schools that meet AYP are not looking for new ideas and technology for their classrooms because they are doing it "right"? I just wonder because often the text that we have read for this class and others I have taken take place in urban settings with underprivledged kids. Any thoughts?

      Delete