Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Twitter in the Classroom? I think yes!

I was intrigued by our discussion today on using cell phones.  I also thought Tim's Twitter account was really cool and wanted to think of ways I could incorporate Twitter into a classroom.  I found this article online, which lists 50 ways you can incorporate Twitter into your class:

50 Ways to Use Twitter

The list is fairly concise, so I think you will find it useful and easy to reference!


I especially like numbers 1, 2, and 5.  I think that using Twitter, as a teacher, to get news and updates out to your students would be a great way to use the media.  Also, students could collaborate on assignments and get help from one another via Twitter.  Wouldn't it be cool if you assigned students an assignment, and if they had a question, they could tweet you their question?  I think that most students either a. don't ask for help in school because they don't have "time," or b. they don't take time to email the teacher, because they are working on the assignment now, not later.

Since Twitter is instantaneous, you could use it as almost an Office Hours set-up, where kids could tweet questions and comments and you could have short, meaningful conversations outside of the classroom.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to use Twitter?  Does anyone know of an alternate website that isn't Twitter that could be used?  I feel that trying your best to stay away from mainstream media is probably in everyone's best interest.

1 comment:

  1. This tis into my wiki chapter perfectly! Is there a link to where you found this, I would love to include it! I ask thought about using instagram, it is an app on smartphones, it basically where you posts images with captions.

    ReplyDelete