Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sister Wives


John Golden’s Reading in the Reel World defiantly appealed to me. In fact, I was reading the first chapter while waiting for my dinner at a local restaurant. The first paragraph describes me to a T. I don’t think of myself as nosey, just interested. I could spend hours just observing people and being able to hear their conversations, makes it even better. I do agree that this is probably why I love documentaries and now, reality TV. I do not miss an episode of Sister Wives and would be perfectly happy to have them as my neighbors. 

Of course it is a given that there is educational value in most documentaries, but this book reveals where some films are “created” instead of just happening. Like everyone else, I was totally taken in by Super Size Me, but I didn’t think about the fact that he only focuses on the overweight people. Those folks may or may not have frequented McDonald's on that day, or any other day, yet they are focused on as an example of a McDonald’s customer. Speaking of McDonald’s, watch the film Hot Coffee, eye-opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment