Monday, July 2, 2012

Video Games and the Broadcast News, Unlikely Bed Fellows


I personally have never been one to play video games; however, I have played Mario Cart on occasion with my daughter on her Game Cube. My husband and I would purchase educational type games for our daughter to play when she was younger, but I’m not sure how much she actually got out of them.

The Hobb’s text suggested a website called http://scratch.mit.edu/, which I checked out and The Hunger Games trivia game that was created by a student, seems to be well received by the trilogy’s readers. The game requires the player to recall portions of the book and the creator has requested that after completion you blog how many answer that were answered correctly.

The portion of the text concerning TV programming ands as a fan of TV, I was surprised with the statics concerning the facts people learn through watching their favorite TV program. However, the portion of the chapter that covers using the news as a source concerns me. I believe the BBC is a perfect choice when dealing with adult learners, but the better choice all around may be PBS’s News Hour, since this may be a little more sterilized then the BBC. I am at present, reading an article recommending using news broadcasts in an ESL classroom. If interested the article is called, “Using News Broadcasts in the ESL/ EFL Classroom” and was published by Teachers of English to Speakers of other Languages and I will be posting an abstract of the article on our discussion board.

No comments:

Post a Comment