Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Just My Opinion


The more I think about video games, the more I recognize their educational value. My initial reaction to the article we read about the educational merit of video games was fairly ambivalent; however, Clay Shirky’s words on page 138 of The Influencing Machine changed my opinion. I really like his analogy about sifting through all of the books in Barnes and Noble when illustrating the act of surfing the Internet, and I think this also applies to the use of video games in the classroom. Are all video games worth using in lessons? Of course not. But, this doesn’t mean there aren’t quality games out there that could contribute to a student’s academic progress. Teachers just need to design “filters” for video games so as to choose the most effective ones for learning—as opposed to just pure entertainment. And, as Brooke Gladstone explains, there are numerous filters already available, such as online social networks and special interest communities. For example, it took me a total of three seconds to stumble upon this webpage on CoLearners, which is devoted entirely to the latest research on video games:
Seeing all of the enthusiasm others have for the use of video games as educational tools has actually raised my interest in this topic. I suppose when you boil them down to their essential forms, books and video games aren’t really that much different.
What do you think? Have your opinions changed (like mine) or remained the same about the use of video games in the classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I never ever thought I could use a video game in the classroom unit our class discussing it. I found that i even knew about video games on my own that I could use. I really liked Dalin's comment aboutt using it to teach perspective, you could use whatever video game was hot and coming in the pop future of the students.

    ReplyDelete